Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thursday, March 21, 2013 - Luke 5

Called by God

  Yes, I was made a child of God through Holy Baptism in October of 1960.  My second cousin and her husband served as my godparents.   The Creed was spoken on my behalf, some vows were made, and I was blessed with the gift of the Holy Spirit.

  But God had a lot of work to do in me.  As I learned the Christian faith, I had many questions and doubts.    As time progressed, there would be days that I would almost be convinced that Jesus Christ was nothing more than a man -- a good prophet, teacher, rabbi -- but nothing more.  I didn't let people know on the outside, but on the inside I was often a jumbled mess of uncertainty.

  But God was faithful.  He continued to nurture me through a fine pastor, faithful youth group leaders, my parents, my brother, and numerous others as the His Word was proclaimed in their conversastions and actions.  Soon, my heart wasn't tugging against God in the same way.  The faith in my head became the faith of my heart.

  In Luke 5 we see that Jesus knows how to deal with doubts.  He showed Himself to Peter, James and John in the miraculous catch of fish.  He manifested His power to a leper and a paralytic.  He displays God's mercy to a tax-collector.

  He knew each of their needs, and came with the exact prescription for each one.  His loving actions pulled their doubting hearts out of the mire and gave them the confidence to serve Him.

  Are you struggling with doubts -- anxieties -- uncertainties?  Pray for God to help you.  And keep your eyes open.  You may be surprised at what He might do as you look for a stronger faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee free to add your comments!