Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday, November 25 - 1 Peter 5

1 Peter 5

New International Version (NIV)

To the Elders and the Flock

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselvesto your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
=========================
PROWLING
it is not unusual for me to see a fox or occasionally a coyote on the back of my property.  These predators are seeking an unsuspecting rabbit, squirrel or possibly a deer whom they might capture and eat.  I don't like seeing predators.  I prefer seeing the free-roaming deer, and I do not wish to see the innocent ones harmed.  Nevertheless, I know that there is little I can do to stop it.
But there IS something I can do as a Christian to protect myself and the flock under my care from the roaming Predator known as Satan.  I can encourage all of us to stand firm in the faith by making use of Gods word and sacraments.   We know that the Spirit of God has promised to be present when we are connected to these things. They are like an armor that covers us in our weakness and enables us to be protected from the dangers and threats of the Evil One.
Too often, though, God's people open themselves to temptation by letting themselves get too busy or too preoccupied to be immersed in the Word.  And it is at that time that the Enemy chooses to pounce  to twist the truth and to lead us astray.
But Jesus is more powerful than him, and continues to offer His help and strength even when we fall.  He says to us:  
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. (John 10:11-13)
May the Good Shepherd protect and strengthen you.
======================
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flockand one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Final Greetings

12 With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.
13 She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark. 14 Greet one another with a kiss of love.
Peace to all of you who are in Christ.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fee free to add your comments!