Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday, May 1 - John 10

The Wandering Sheep

On June 10, 1973, Rev. Paul Steinke brought me before St. Matthew's Lutheran Church in Philadelphia and recited my Confirmation vows.  I, along with Tommy Stark and Melissa Renfer, accepted these vows as our own and agreed, "yes, with the help of God."

On that day, I was given a special verse as a guide for my life.  It was John 10:27:  "My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, no one can pluck them from my hand."

In a month, it will be 40 years since I took that vow, and a lot has happened since then:  high school, college, seminary, ordination ... marriage, kids, various congregations ... the death of my parents, surgery, a car accident ...

God didn't promise it would always be easy, but He did promise to guide and lead me, and to keep me in His embrace.  And, while I have not always been faithful to Him, He has always been faithful to me -- forgiving my sins, strengthening me with His love, and holding forth the promise of eternity.

I am so thankful for the Good Shepherd, who journeys with us through this vale of tears.  While we wander and stray, He keeps leading us back to the path.  And, in the end, we know that He will open the gate to the green pastures, where we will join all the other sheep of His flock and celebrate the Lamb who saved us.

Thanks Jesus, for tending the flock.  Help me not to stray or be distracted.  Help me to be a good shepherd as I tell others of the Good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fee free to add your comments!